- For the Asparagus & Jamón:
- 12thick white asparagus spears, jarred
- 3oz sliced Jamón Serrano
- 1/2tbsp olive oil
- 1tsp fresh thyme
- For the Hazelnut Dressing:
- 1/2cup roasted hazelnuts, crushed
- 2tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2cup fresh orange juice
- 2tbsp hazelnut or walnut oil
- 2 1/2tbsp sherry vinegar with Pedro Ximenez
- 2tsp grainy mustard
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
For the Hazelnut Dressing:
Coarsely chop the hazelnuts or lightly pulse in a food processor or spice mill. Add chopped nuts and remainder of dressing ingredients to small mixing bowl and whisk until well combined. Dressing can be made ahead and kept refrigerated up to one week.
For the Asparagus and Jamón:
Stack ham slices and very loosely roll the stack lengthwise like a jelly roll. Slice the roll into ¼ inch slices and separate all the pieces. Add ½ tbsp of olive oil to small sauté pan and fry the ham, stirring constantly over medium high heat until crispy. Remove to paper towels to absorb any excess oil.
If using jarred asparagus, drain asparagus and let rest on paper towels. If using fresh, trim the asparagus stems, then peel the woody ends of stems with a vegetable peeler. Boil in salted water for 10 minutes until the spears are tender. Drain well. Arrange asparagus on serving platter or individual plates. Stir the hazelnut dressing and spoon desired amount over the asparagus. Top with frizzled Serrano ham and garnish with fresh thyme.
Serve at room temperature as a tapa or as a starter for an elegant dinner.
Calories 497; Total Fat 39.6 gr (51%); Saturated Fat 5.7 gr (28%); Cholesterol 26 mg (9%); Sodium 2529 mg (110%); Total Carbohydrates 14.8 gr (5%); Fiber 5.1 gr (18%); Sugars 6 gr; Protein 23.1 gr; Vitamin D 0%; Calcium 6%; Iron 20%; Potassium 6%.
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your caloric needs.