- 4oz baby squid in ink
- 1tbsp squid ink
- 4 1/4cups fish or vegetable stock
- 2tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4tbsp olive oil, divided
- 8oz medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 2tubes of squid, cleaned and cut into ¼-inch rings
- 1 1/2lbs monkfish, cleaned and cut into 6 equal portions
- 2bunches of scallions, sliced into ¼-inch pieces, green and white divided
- 3cloves of garlic, peeled and finely diced
- 1red bell pepper, diced
- 1medium tomato, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 1cup fino sherry or dry white wine
- 2cups Bomba rice
- 2fire-roasted piquillo peppers, halved in length and sliced
- Lemon wedges for serving
- Alioli garlic sauce for serving
Remove baby squid from their tin and set aside. In a medium saucepan, combine sauce from the baby squid with the squid ink, stock and lemon juice. Bring to a simmer and turn off heat.
Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a 15-inch paella pan. Sauté the monkfish over medium-high heat, turning frequently for 2-3 minutes. Add the squid rings and continue to cook 1-2 minutes (they should not be fully cooked). Set seafood aside to a platter.
Add the remaining 1 tablespoons of oil, the white part of scallion and garlic and sauté over medium-high heat until the onion is soft. Stir in the tomatoes, red pepper and cook 1-2 minutes, stir in the smoked paprika and sherry or white wine. Bring to a boil for 3-4 minutes.
Add the rice and stir well. Pour in the broth mixture and bring to a boil. Taste for and adjust salt and continue to boil, stirring and rotating the pan occasionally for about 2 minutes. Stir in the squid rings and add monkfish pieces evenly around the pan, tucking them into the rice mixture a bit. It is important to not stir after this point. Boil until the rice is no longer soupy but sufficient liquid remains to continue cooking the rice - about 5 minutes.
Arrange the shrimp around the other seafood and cook uncovered on a low simmer until the rice is almost al dente, about 10-12 more minutes. Remove from heat, arrange the piquillo pepper strips and reserved baby squid attractively over the rice. Cover with foil and let rest for 5-10 minutes. Remove foil and garnish with of green onion.
Serving Size 21.8 oz/618 gr; Calories 632; Calories from Fat 175; Total Fat 19.7 gr (30%); Saturated Fat 3.1 gr (16%); Cholesterol 224 mg (75%); Sodium 996 mg (42%); Total Carbohydrates 63 gr (21%); Fiber 4 gr (14%); Sugars 3 gr; Protein 40 gr (81%); Vitamin A 34%; Vitamin C 98%; Calcium 14%; Iron 28%.
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your caloric needs.